When you enter a business or store in Birmingham, you have every right to expect that it will be relatively safe and well maintained. Alabama property owners have a legal obligation to keep their land and buildings hazard-free and to warn visitors of any potential dangers. Failure to do so can result in visitors being seriously injured in slip-and-fall accidents.
Sometimes slip and fall victims humbly blame the accident on their own clumsiness and fail to file a personal injury claim. A slip and fall lawyer, though, can ensure that your rights are considered. He or she can investigate the cause of your accident and determine whether you have a claim for compensation.
Norris Injury Lawyers has over 40 years of experience handling personal injury cases in Alabama and throughout the US. Our attorneys have helped many slip and fall victims recover maximum compensation for their injuries over the decades.
Common Causes of Birmingham Slip-and-Fall Accidents
Every year, many residents of Birmingham are rushed to the emergency room as a result of slip-and-fall accidents. What causes these accidents to happen?
Typically, one or more of the following factors are to blame:
- Wet or recently waxed floors
- Uneven surfaces
- Cluttered walkways
- Loose floorboards
- Unsafe ladders
- Broken handrails
- Inadequate lighting
- Loose cables or wires
- Improper footwear
- Broken sidewalks and pavement
Locations Where Slip-and-Falls Frequently Occur
Slip-and-falls can happen in many different places for a variety of reasons. The following are locations where these types of accidents commonly occur:
- Parking lots
- Nursing homes and assisted living facilities
- Medical facilities
- Shopping malls
- Escalators and elevators
- Sporting events and facilities
- Swimming pools
What to Do After a Birmingham Slip-and-Fall
The actions you take immediately following a slip-and-fall accident can determine whether or not you receive compensation for your injuries.
If you are physically able to do so, take the following steps after suffering a slip-and-fall:
- Inspect the scene. Look around and try to determine the cause of your fall.
- Take pictures. Photograph the spill on the floor, loose floorboard, icy sidewalk, or whatever it was that caused you to slip and fall. If you don’t immediately document what caused your fall, you can be sure that the evidence won’t last long, as the home or business owner is likely to expedite fixing the issue.
- Report the incident. Inform the manager, landlord, or owner of the accident. Request that a written report be filed and ask for your own copy.
- Speak to eyewitnesses. Collect the names, addresses, and phone numbers of anyone who witnessed your fall. Their testimony could serve as important evidence if you decide to pursue a claim.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you are feeling okay immediately following a slip-and-fall, it is important to seek a medical examination and treatment right away. Some injuries take hours or days to completely manifest themselves. A doctor’s report will help validate your claim for compensation.
- Decline to give statements. Refrain from posting any details of your accident on social media. Avoid speaking with the manager or property owner of the place where you fell. Also, refrain from giving an official statement to the insurance company without first speaking to an attorney.
- Contact a slip and fall lawyer. Slip and fall cases can be complex and difficult to prove. You have a higher chance of recovering compensation when you have an experienced law firm with a track record of success, such as Norris Injury Lawyers, on your side.
Slip-and-Fall Accidents Can Cause Serious Injuries
Birmingham slip-and-fall accident victims can sustain a wide range of injuries. Many of these can cause them extreme pain and leave them coping with life-altering health challenges.
A slip and fall attorney can help you recover money for all types of serious injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Head and neck injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Lost limbs
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, contact Norris Injury Lawyers to discuss your slip and fall claim. If your injuries prevent you from coming to our law office, we can visit you at your home, the hospital, or another location convenient to you.
Who is Liable for Birmingham Slip-and-Fall Accidents?
A slip and fall case is a type of premises liability claim. This sphere of the law defines a land or business owner’s responsibility for injuries that occur on his or her property due to hazardous conditions. Thus, property owners in Birmingham, AL, have a legal duty to keep their premises safe for visitors and guests.
In order for slip and fall cases to be successful, your lawyer must prove the following:
- The property owner had a duty of care to keep the property reasonably safe and free from dangerous conditions
- There was a property issue that the land or building owner knew about – or should have known about – and failed to correct
- The property owner failed to adequately maintain the condition of the property and/or warn others of potential hazards
- The injured party suffered harm as a direct result of the property owner’s negligence
It is important to identify all parties who are responsible for your accident. Under Alabama state law, you can pursue monetary compensation from anyone who contributed to your injuries. In addition to property owners, landlords and government agencies may also be found liable for your slip-and-fall.
Proving liability in slip and fall cases can be complicated, but the knowledgeable legal team members at Norris Injury Lawyers know what is needed to build a solid claim for our clients. When we take on your case, we will thoroughly investigate the cause of your accident and determine who might be held accountable for your injuries.
What Damages Are Available to Birmingham, Alabama Slip-and-Fall Accident Victims?
The types of damages a slip and fall victim receives and the amount of the payout depend largely on the nature and severity of his or her injuries. A person suffering lifelong health issues or permanent disability is more likely to receive a substantial payout.
The members of our law firm understand that each personal injury case is unique. Your slip and fall lawyer will take the time to understand the scope of your injuries and tailor your claim to fit your specific circumstances.
Your slip and fall attorney may demand money on your behalf for:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitative care costs
- Loss of income
- Loss of future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
- Wrongful death and more
Contact a Birmingham, AL Slip-and-Fall Lawyer You Can Depend On
If you have been seriously injured in a slip-and-fall accident, don’t make the mistake of paying for your medical bills and other losses out of pocket. You have the right to be compensated for your damages, and an experienced personal injury lawyer can help you get what you deserve.
The Norris legal team has the knowledge and experience needed to build a solid case for you backed by strong evidence. To maximize your chances of recovery, let one of our Birmingham slip and fall attorneys assist you with every aspect of your case.
From the very beginning, we can thoroughly investigate the incident and handle all negotiations with the insurance company. Our lawyers are prepared to take your case all the way to trial if necessary to help you obtain a just and fair settlement.
Call our Birmingham, Alabama, personal injury law firm today to schedule your free case review. Contact us 24/7 at (800) 477-7510, start a live chat with us, or fill out the online contact form.