We could look both ways before crossing the street, walk within the crosswalks, obey the pedestrian signals, act with all reasonable caution, and still be severely injured in a pedestrian accident. Automobiles, trucks, and motorcycles all have the speed to overtake and collide with a pedestrian in an instant. This can happen when the driver of the vehicle drives in a careless, irresponsible, or otherwise unsafe manner.
Have you or a loved one been injured in a pedestrian accident? Our law firm has personal injury attorneys who can assist you as the victim of a pedestrian accident. We can help you attain the justice and compensation the law makes available to personal injury victims and their loved ones.
Please contact a personal injury lawyer with the law firm of Norris Injury Lawyers serving the residents of Birmingham, AL. Contact us by calling (800) 477-7510 or filling out a free online form. Your first visit with us will not cost you anything, and there are no obligations connected to your free consultation.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents involving automobiles are often the result of a driver failing to demonstrate the necessary degree of attention. Although a momentary diversion on the part of a driver could seem insignificant, it is not. A vehicle can travel a considerable distance in a split-second and cause traumatic injury to an unnoticed pedestrian.
Especially at risk of pedestrian accidents are children and the elderly. Both of these groups have physical limitations which make moving out of the way of a vehicle difficult, if not impossible.
The following is a list of the most common acts that may result in a pedestrian accident with a vehicle:
- Driving under the influence – A dangerous combination is when a person is operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Consider this: the person affected by drugs or alcohol will have a delayed reaction time when seeing or hearing a pedestrian in his or her path. Unfortunately, the vehicle driver may fail to respond in time. In a fraction of a second, a collision can occur.
- Failing to obey traffic lights and signs – Traffic signals and signs are an aid to both drivers and pedestrians. They create order and a procedure for travel that is safe for motorists and pedestrians. When drivers are inattentive or choose to ignore these cautionary instruments, they put themselves and pedestrians in danger.
- Reversing a vehicle without looking out for pedestrians – An accident that would be a small fender-bender between two cars can be lethal to a pedestrian. Therefore, it is vital that a driver checks all surrounding areas, especially behind, when backing up a car.
- Speeding in residential areas and school zones – These are areas with an increased level of foot traffic. Therefore, the potential for pedestrian accidents increases. Children may at times be distracted and inattentive. Especially because of a child’s smaller size and inexperience, drivers must be vigilant in keeping an eye out for children in school zones. It is of the utmost importance that drivers have a heightened level of attention and caution in these areas.
- Using a cell phone while driving – According to research, a driver’s attention when using a cell phone decreases by 37 percent. Further, the likelihood of an accident happening as soon as a driver removes his or her eyes from the road increases by 400 percent. Clearly, the use of a cell phone for talking or texting can affect a driver’s attention and focus. This can literally be a life-and-death matter.
The above is not an exhaustive list of all the reasons a pedestrian can be injured in Birmingham, AL. Please speak with a Norris personal injury attorney to learn how the law interprets your accident. A Birmingham pedestrian accident attorney with our team can share with you the legal counsel that is pertinent to your accident case.
Compensation That a Pedestrian Accident Victim Can Receive
The number of individuals in the US injured as pedestrians each year is staggering. Each of these injuries has costs and losses, whether physically, emotionally, mentally, or monetarily. An injured person deserves compensation for these damages and the anguish he or she experiences.
The following are damages that a Birmingham pedestrian accident attorney with Norris Injury Lawyers can assist you as the victim of a pedestrian accident in Birmingham to obtain:
- Costs for treatment of personal injuries
- Medical bills
- Surgery bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Therapy expenses
- Equipment needed in recuperation or because of lifestyle alterations resulting from the accident
- Lost income and future wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Compensation if you cannot return to work
To determine the type of compensation you can receive and the amount you may qualify for, please contact a Birmingham pedestrian accident lawyer on our team.
Obstacles a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help You Overcome
Insurance companies and the statute of limitations are two principal obstacles that a pedestrian accident victim must face in Birmingham. A personal injury lawyer with our legal team can assist you with both of these issues.
A pedestrian accident lawyer with our firm can explain which statute of limitations applies to your case. What’s more, we can help you to navigate the law respecting this issue and, above all, meet your deadline.
Additionally, an accident lawyer with Norris Injury Lawyers can help with problematic insurance companies. An insurance company will often be slow to cooperate, if not completely resistant. Our accident attorneys know how to influence an insurance company to cooperate. We can motivate even the most defiant insurance companies to yield.
How a Birmingham Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Although not all people drive vehicles, nearly everyone is a pedestrian at some time or another. As a pedestrian, you are at risk of injury from all types of vehicles. Negligent drivers can easily and quickly collide with a pedestrian, and the consequences can be tragic.
A Birmingham pedestrian accident attorney with our legal team can help you if you or a loved one has been injured. Regardless of the type of injury or where the incident took place in Birmingham, we can assist you.
Please reach out to a Birmingham pedestrian accident attorney with Norris Injury Lawyers. If we pursue your case, you will not pay us any money until we get you the compensation you deserve.
You can contact us at (800) 477-7510 or by filling out the brief contact form. Your first conversation with us has no cost, and there are no obligations connected to your free consultation.