December 29th, 2015|
Heavy winds and rain across the state of Alabama over the last several days has made traveling not only difficult, but also extremely dangerous. Reports indicate that some areas have seen more than 14-inches of rain in the last six days, leaving many highways flooded and bridges washed out.
In order to help you stay safe during adverse weather, the Alabama auto accident attorneys at Norris Injury Lawyers would like to offer several safety tips. They include:
- Stay Home- Do not travel during bad weather unless it is absolutely necessary to do so.
- Know Your Route-If you must travel during turbulent weather conditions, research your route to ensure the roads you will use are clear. The Alabama Department of Transportation can provide you with the latest road conditions in your area.
- Never Drive Through Standing Water- Even if a pool of water in the road looks passable, don’t attempt to drive through it. Your vehicle could quickly flood if the water is deeper than expected. Instead, turn around and find an alternative route to your destination.
- Be prepared- Accidents aren’t always preventable, so have the supplies you will need in case of a crash. This can include a cellphone and charger, as well as a knife to cut thru a seatbelt and an object to break glass in the event your vehicle floods.
- Wear Your Seatbelt- This life-saving piece of equipment significantly reduces your chance of injury or death in the event of an accident, so always buckle up.
The Alabama personal injury lawyers at Norris Injury Lawyers hope these tips help keep you safe as you get where you need to go in bad weather.