Close Menu
Call Us 24/7 Call 24/7 (800) 477-7510
Call 24/7 (800) 477-7510
Veterans' Disability Lawyers

Veterans’ Benefits


Disability benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are designed to provide support to military veterans suffering from illnesses, injuries, or trauma related to their service. But applying for benefits often involves stacks of paperwork that must be approved by layers of bureaucracy, and mistakes can result in years of delays or outright denials.

If your veterans disability claim has been delayed or denied, Norris Injury Lawyers wants to fight for you. Our veterans disability attorneys have years of experience helping military veterans and their families in Alabama and throughout the United States. Call us 24/7 at (800) 477-7510 or complete our free initial consultation form to get started.


Applying for Veterans Disability Benefits

Errors and omissions during the veterans disability benefits application process can result in delays or denials. Claims with the best chance of approval include thorough and detailed documentation of:

  • Medical evidence (doctor and hospital reports)
  • Discharge and separation papers (DD214 or equivalent)
  • Dependency records (marriage and children’s birth certificates)
  • Employment history (including details about your current income)

After you submit your application for benefits, the VA will notify you that they have received your application. Following this initial correspondence, you may be required to submit additional paperwork in support of your claim.

Appealing Your Veterans Disability Benefits Claim

If you disagree with the VA’s decision on your claim—whether you were denied benefits, you believe your disability rating should be higher, or for any other reason—you have the right to file an appeal.

There are a number of important steps involved in filing your appeal. The process is complicated, and it can take months or even years to complete. But you don’t have to do it by yourself. Our experienced Alabama veterans disability lawyers want to help increase your chances of winning your appeal.

To learn more about the appeals process and how we can help, call our Birmingham veterans disability lawyers today. Your initial consultation is always free, and with our No Fee Guarantee®, you don’t owe us anything unless we get results. Call (800) 477-7510 or fill out our free initial consultation form to contact us today.

Veterans Benefits FAQ

Am I eligible for veterans disability benefits?

According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, you may be entitled to compensation for disabilities:

  • that were received or aggravated during active military, naval, or air service,
  • which occurred anytime between the date of entry into active service and ending on the date of discharge from active service, and
  • if you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

If you’re unsure whether you’re eligible to receive VA disability benefits, the Alabama veterans disability benefits attorneys at Norris Injury Law are here to assist you. We can review all aspects of your military service, the severity of injuries or illnesses you suffered while serving our country, and the manner in which your disabilities affect your daily life and ability to earn a living.

Contact our Norris Injury Lawyers today. We’ll review your military and disability history and walk you through your options. And if you’re eligible to receive veterans disability benefits, you can count on us to fight for your rights—even if it means appealing the VA’s decision. Just dial (800) 477-7510 or fill out a free online form.

Can I receive VA disability benefits while I am receiving SSD benefits?

While the Social Security Administration (SSA) considers your income when determining your Social Security Disability (SSD) benefit, VA disability benefits are not considered income, so you may still be eligible for SSD benefits.

Can I work while receiving VA disability benefits?

Yes. Many veterans continue to work while receiving disability benefits. Only veterans considered “unemployable” due to their high disability rating are unable to continue working.

How can I obtain a copy of my military records?

Most veterans (and their next of kin) can obtain free copies of military records from the National Archives and Record Administration (NARA), where military records are now filed (no longer with your local VA office). You can request your military records electronically using the eVetRecs System, or by mailing or faxing the NARA a copy of SF-180 to:

National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, Missouri 63132
or by Fax: (314) 801-9195

What benefits are available to my family?

Beneficiaries of veterans (spouse, former non-remarried spouse, dependents) may be eligible for benefits from the VA. These benefits may include: