Cycling is a healthy, cost-effective mode of transportation in Birmingham. Cyclists in Alabama have the right to share the roadway with motorists. Unfortunately, drivers do not always remember to watch out for bicycle riders.
Were you injured in a bicycle accident because someone else failed to share the road safely? If so, you may have the right to demand compensation from them. The Birmingham bicycle accident attorneys from Norris Injury Lawyers can work to help you maximize the amount you recover.
Our law firm has over 40 years of experience successfully handling bike accidents and other personal injury cases in Alabama and throughout the US. We offer all potential clients a free case review. Schedule yours today by calling us at (800) 477-7510, starting a live chat, or filling out a contact form.
What Causes Bicycle Accidents in Birmingham?
In order to recover compensation for your bicycle accident injuries, your personal injury attorney will need to prove that the person who hit you was negligent. This involves determining who caused your accident and why.
The following are some common reasons why bicycle crashes occur:
- Distracted driving: This is the leading cause of all types of motor vehicle collisions including bicycle accidents. When drivers are paying more attention to their phones, GPS, or passengers than to their surroundings, they are more likely to cause an accident.
- Unsafe lane changes and turns: Drivers have an obligation to look for pedestrians and cyclists before turning or changing lanes, even if the vehicle has the right-of-way.
- Speeding: The faster a driver is traveling, the less time he or she has to stop or make decisions while behind the wheel. Bicycle accidents involving high-speed vehicles are more likely to result in severe injuries.
- “Dooring” accidents: A driver or passenger who opens a car door into a bicyclist’s path can cause a serious accident. It’s important to be aware of your surroundings before entering or exiting a vehicle.
- Following a bicyclist too closely: It is extremely dangerous for a car to closely follow or pass a cyclist. A buffer of 3 feet or more allows drivers time and space to avoid a hazardous situation.
- Failing to yield the right-of-way: Drivers who fail to yield at traffic signs, roundabouts, intersections, and other locations pose a serious danger to cyclists.
- Drunk driving: It is illegal to drive in Alabama if your blood alcohol level (BAC) is over .08. Alcohol and drugs impair a person’s judgment, coordination, depth perception, and other skills necessary to safe driving.
- Road defects: Roadways that are poorly marked, have large potholes, or are poorly maintained can contribute to a bike accident.
- Low visibility: Bicycles are small and difficult to see, so motorists need to be on the lookout for them. Cyclists can help make themselves more visible by wearing bright clothing and equipping their bikes with reflectors or lights.
Birmingham, AL Bicycle Accident Injuries
Unlike cars and trucks, bicycles do not offer riders any protection in the event of an accident. Even if they were wearing a helmet at the time, bicycle crash victims can still be left with serious debilitating injuries.
A bicycle accident lawyer may be able to help you recover damages for all sorts of injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Eye injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Internal organ damage
- Lost limbs
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Establishing Liability After a Bicycle Accident
Under Alabama state law, anyone who contributed to your bicycle accident could be held liable for your injuries. A Birmingham bicycle accident attorney can help you file a claim against anyone whose negligent or careless actions caused your injuries.
The following parties could be held liable for your bike accident injuries:
- Drivers of cars, trucks, motorcycles, or other motor vehicles
- Other cyclists
- Transit companies
- Bike and parts manufacturers
- Employers of the at-fault driver
In some situations, multiple parties may be responsible for your injuries. After taking on your bicycle accident case, your lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation and file a claim against all liable parties.
When is the Accident the Cyclist’s Fault?
Typically, in collisions involving a motor vehicle and a bicycle, the driver is the one found liable for the accident. However, there are some rare cases where a bicyclist may be found at fault for the incident.
Bicycle riders, just like drivers, are obligated to obey traffic signals and follow the rules of the road.
Cyclists who engage in the following behaviors may be found at least partially to blame for an accident and resulting injuries:
- Failing to ride in the bike lane
- Failing to stop for traffic signs or lights
- Riding against the flow of traffic
- Turning abruptly without signal
- Failing to yield
- Being distracted by a smartphone
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, and the insurance company is trying to place the blame on you, contact Norris Injury Lawyers today. Our bicycle accident lawyers will use their experience and knowledge of Alabama state law to defend your legal rights.
When a Child Has Been Injured in a Birmingham, AL Bicycle Accident
Some of the most tragic bicycle accidents are the ones that involve children. While drivers are always to expect exercise caution while behind the wheel, extra care needs to be shown around children. Motorists should anticipate that a child might suddenly cross the road or get scared if a car approaches too quickly. Cautious drivers are on alert around residential areas, parking lots, parks, schools, and other places where children may be present.
If your child was injured in a bicycle accident due to a negligent or careless motorist, then contact Norris Injury Lawyers right away. As a parent, you want the best medical treatment available to your child and may be wondering about your legal rights. The compassionate members of our legal team will fight to get you and your family compensation for medical bills and other damages.
Compensation Available After a Birmingham, Alabama Bicycle Accident
The costs of a bicycle accident may be overwhelming, and the amount that the insurance company offers you is likely far less than your claim is worth. Keep in mind that you are only allowed one opportunity to settle your case. You need to ensure the amount you receive is enough to cover your current and anticipated future expenses.
The lawyers at our law firm have decades of experience negotiating with insurance companies. We know what is needed to win fair verdicts and settlements for our injured clients.
A bicycle accident lawyer may be able to help you recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
If you have suffered the tragic loss of a loved one in a bicycle accident, you may be entitled to recover wrongful death damages. This could include compensation for burial costs, funeral expenses, loss of support, and other losses.
Contact a Birmingham Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident in Birmingham, Norris Injury Lawyers is here to help. Over the past 40 years, we have built strong relationships with some of the top accident and injury experts in Alabama. They can help us investigate your accident, better understand the scope of your injuries, and determine what your case is worth.
Our law firm offers all clients our No Fee Guarantee®. We firmly believe that everyone deserves the right to legal representation, regardless of his or her current financial situation. In order to remain affordable, we represent clients on contingency. You don’t owe us a dime until you are awarded a settlement.
You deserve to have a strong legal advocate by your side as you recover from your injuries. Schedule your free case evaluation at a time and location convenient to you. Call us 24/7 at (800) 477-7510.